Michelangelo: Pietà Rondanini Museum
Pietà Rondanini by Michelangelo Buonarroti (side view)
Michelangelo Buonarroti's Pietà Rondanini displayed since the early 1950's in the Ancient Art Museum of the Sforza Castle has now relocated to the so called Spanish Hospital, a former Infirmary dating back to the 1500's recently restored to be turned into the Pietà Rondanini Museum. In this bare and empty whitewashed hall where plague-stricken soldiers died comforted only by verses from the Apostles' Creed inscribed on scrolls on the high vaulted ceiling, in an atmosphere imbued with pain and sorrow, Michelangelo's most moving sculpure has found it's new home since May 2nd 2015. The minimalist layout designed by architect Michele de Lucchi is perfect. Not to miss.